Alpine 2.23 Released
- Source Code
- For Windows 10 or any 64 bit version of WIndows: alpine-2.23.zip
- For an old version of Windows, such as XP, which is 32 bit: alpine-2.23_32bits.zip
This version is released under the Apache License Version 2.0.
Version 2.23 includes several new features and bug fixes.
- Implementation of XOAUTH2 authentication support for Outlook.
Based on documentation suggested by Andrew C Aitchison.
- Add support for the OAUTHBEARER authentication method in Gmail. Thanks to
Alexander Perlis for suggesting it and explaining how the method works.
an online document from the Release Notes (Link at the top of this
document.) Upon user request, Alpine downloads and displays this
starts Alpine for the first time, or when a user starts a new version
of Alpine. There is no default exit greeting command for these
screens, and to exit the user must press "E", instead of the old
default, which was the RETURN command. The RETURN command will open
the handle on which the cursor is on, which by default is the Privacy
- Support for the SASL-IR IMAP extension that avoids a round trip during
authentication. Similar support added for the SMTP, NNTP and POP3
protocols. Thanks to Geoffrey Bodwin for a report that lead to this
- Alpine can pass an HTML message to an external web browser, by using the
"External" command in the ATTACHMENT INDEX
- New configuration variable external-command-loads-inline-images-oly
that controls if Alpine will keep the source link to all the images in the
HTML message, or will only pass a link to inline images included in the message. For your
privacy and security this feature is enabled by default.
- When reading an email and a user selects an email address to which to compose
a message from the message, the user will be able to select a role to compose
- New variable system-certs-path that allows users to indicate the
location of the directory where certificates are located. In PC-Alpine
this must be C:\libressl\ssl\certs. The C: drive can be replaced
by the name of the drive where the binary and DLL files are located.
- New variable system-certs-file that allows users to configure the
location of a container of certificate authority (CA) certificates
to be used to validate certificates of remote servers.
- Remove sleep of 5 seconds for mailcap programs that use the terminal
to display content. Suggested by Carl Edquist. In addition, remove
configurable process table command and its corresponding sleep time.
Bugs that have been addressed include:
- Security Bug: Alpine can be configured to start a secure connection using /tls on an
insecure connection. However, if the connection is PREAUTH, Alpine will not upgrade the
connection to a secure connection, because a client must not issue a STARTTLS to a server
that supports it in authenticated state. This makes Alpine continue to use an insecure
connection with the server, exposing user data. Reported by Damian Poddebniak and Fabian
Ising from Münster University of Applied Sciences.
- Selecting by subject might not copy the subject of the current message
to the selection text correctly. Reported by Iosif Fettich.
- Alpine does not set the return path correctly when using a role while bouncing
a message. Reported by Dr. C. Griewatsch.
- Bug in PC-Alpine that made Alpine go into an infinite loop and
consume CPU when it was iconized. Reported by Holger Schieferdecker in
- Crash in Alpine when attempting to reply to a multipart/alternative
message that is malformed, and the option to include attachments in
reply is enabled. Reported and patched by Peter Tirsek.
- Bug that makes Alpine split encoded words in the subject of a message
in the middle of a utf-8 character into two encoded words, breaking the
encoding. Reported by Jean Chevalier.
- Alpine would not redraw the screen when a check for new mail in an
incoming folder failed due to a failurec while validating the server
certificate, and the user did not allow the connection to proceed.
- Crash in Alpine while resizing the screen when using any of the tokens
SUBJKEYTEXT, SUBJECTTEXT, or SUBJKEYINITTEXT in the index format, and
the screen was resized. Reported by Iggy Mogo.
- When Alpine is trying to authenticate to Gmail, using the XOAUTH2 method,
it does not display the url the user needs to open, in order to authorize
Alpine to access Gmail using XOAUTH2 when Alpine still has not created
a screen. Reported by Baron Fujimoto.
- When an html anchor does not quote the link in the href parameter,
alpine does not link to it.
- Attempt to fix a bug that breaks scrolling of a message in Alpine when
the screen is resized. Reported in the Debian bug system at
In order to compile this source code you need OpenSSL version 1.0.0c or
later. In addition, Alpine can be compiled with recent versions of LibreSSL.
In order to decompress use the command
tar -Jxf alpine-2.23.tar.xz
This page Copyright 2020 © Eduardo Chappa